This gift set is a must.
This set includes 14 scents of pure essential oils.
Benefits of essential oils
Essential oils can be used in aromatherapy, a kind of complementary medicine that uses smell to improve your health or applied topically to the skin.
Studies have shown that essential oils may help:
- Boost mood.
- Improve job performance through reduced stress and increased attentiveness.
- Improve sleep.
- Kill bacteria, funguses and viruses.
- Reduce anxiety and pain.
- Reduce inflammation.
- Reduce nausea.
- Relieve headaches.
How to use essential oils
Because essential oils are so strong, Dr. Lin recommends being mindful about why and how you’re using them. Only small amounts — typically just a few drops — are used.
“It’s also a good idea not to use them routinely, as your body can get used to them, lowering their effectiveness.
Here are some ways you can use essential oils:
You can diffuse essential oils, which is a type of aromatherapy.
Diffusing is a great way to change your mood quickly. As you breathe in, the oil’s aroma immediately stimulates your central nervous system, triggering an emotional response. It can also reduce anxiety and stress.
Mix essential oils and water in an essential oil diffuser and turn on the magic. A diffuser is a device that disperses tiny oil particles around the room so you can breathe them in. Follow your diffuser’s directions for the right oil-to-water ratio.
There are several other aromatherapy methods. “Whichever method you choose, avoid direct contact with the essential oil and dilute it first.
Other aromatherapy methods include:
- The old-fashioned way. Take deep breaths of the aroma after opening the bottle.
- Dry evaporation. Put a few drops of essential oil on a cotton ball and smell the aroma as it disperses.
- Steam inhalation. Put a few drops of essential oil in a bowl of hot water. Put your head over the bowl, a towel over your head and breathe in the steam.